Sunday 18 October 2015

Saturday Morning BackChat - Sunday, 18th October 2015 - OMG what's happening?

It's Sunday evening and I imagine a great swathe of the  country is glued to their TV sets watching poor Lord Grantham exploding over a warring dining table.  I guess we were all anticipating a possible future story line without the present head of family being in control at least or maybe being eased out by the increasing forcefulness of his strong daughter Mary who now has a clever and kindly brother-in-law standing beside her!  

Well its all very watchable TV giving me at least an interesting line of pure escapism from everyday living and the little problems which life throws my way, as it does to everybody, so amusing things to watch on our TV sets is good.  And there's such a variety of programmes, styles, set-ups etc. there really is something for everyone.

Earlier in the day I was watching the second three-part series of the Family Cazalet and their upper crust life written by Elizabeth Jane Howard and lightly based on her own family recollections, beginning around  the 1930's for a 10-year period.  I have to admit finding it tremendously fascinating.  Its a history lesson, a study of the social mores of the time and rich in background, costume and housing styles.

We have lost its author, Elizabeth Jane Howard but I'm perfectly sure the Cazalets will be with us for a very long time.

Well, I entirely missed watching Nadiya win GBBO making my preserves, catching just the briefest of viewing as they all congratulated her on her brilliant achievement.  One can only surmise with glee just how far this clever girl will go with her skills and talent to achieve.

I've missed the last three weekends' worth of Saturday Morning Chat simply being too busy with my blogging, catching up with the paperwork brought about by all my gadding about to various events and happenings...poor me!  But I have to go out to events, take my photos, do necessary research and the writing up!  I love it all really, its just that autumn's glorious harvest of fruits got to me, the cooking and bottling, so really I only have myself to blame!!!  And our cupboard shelves are now groaning under the combined weight of chutney, jam and jelly which thrills me to  my very core.

Bring on Christmas - I'm almost ready for it hehehe x

My various gardens are slowly being organised and put to bed and my compost bin is surely filling up and over-flowing and there's still tons of greenery to pull out of the ground. clipped and dug up and I'm not even into doing any  real digging up yet apart from the awful clumps of weeds which bedevil my veg, bed.  D'you know, I've not even tested the soil for planting my three blueberry plants we bought from Lidl in the summer.  I adore blueberries on my breakfast cereal and really hate the idea of their being shipped from ,the other side of the world, especially as I've eaten English blueberries from Tesco recently which were just splendid.

This summer's been great, my greenhouse has been full well, too full really, resulting in my tomatoes getting a blight of some sort and my experiment with aubergines coming to grief plus my cucumbers not really being more than beginning pipe-dreams.  However, my runner beans did really well and now the freezer is packed full of them for winter meals and I have lots of homemade ratatouille too.  We certainly won't starve with beans, rat. and chutney to eat along with His glorious homemade organic bread and a little jam made from apple, damson and bullace plums to eat!!!

Well another busy week ahead for me and cooking to do for I'm off for a little family holiday next week with my darling ones home from abroad so.....I'm going to be busy, hectic in fact.

Now I shall do my utmost to write again but.....just in case I don't..... you'd all better play nicely while I'm away and give me a few days to catch up when I get home again and then we can chat again, hey!

Well, toodle loo for now and we'll speak again soon hey?

Daisy xxx

PS I do hope I've not missed too many mistakes - my fingers are all over the place today :(

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daisy, enjoyed your very newsy blog. Enjoy your holiday with the family and catching up with all the comings and goings!! Unfortunately we have to wait until next year for the last episode of Downtown Abbey. Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete