Saturday 22 September 2018

Here We go Again in Snowy January 2018

Our allotment garden looked productive in the snow today with onions, spinach, kale and parsley growing well.  In fact, the parsley in my hotbox is doing very well indeed, which is most encouraging.

I added the two "Christmas tree" rosemary plants bought from Morrisons for my New Year's Day table-top photography.  An all white flower setting with Christmas roses, primula obconica and hyacinths and my two rosemary pots  So my setting has lasted very well and I'm jolly pleased. And at least I could feel busy with my indoor plants and think my gardening year had already started.

We dug over and prepared the lower part of our main allotment site, adding top soil and a mass of gathered leaves, which have now mostly been taken down by in-house worms.  I hope our soil will be greatly improved from this work.  Of course, we've not had a hard frost yet but with the present weather in mind, presumably this will happen sometime soon.

Other areas of the allotment still need attention ie clearance and digging which I  hope to start working on soon.  In the meantime, we're picking spinach, kale and parsley.  The top two composters have rotted down well and we've made this year's first addition of kitchen scraps, thus t he process can begin all over again.
A bo

No comments:

Post a Comment